Monday, August 19, 2013

100 Grand

This week, it's the candy you can take straight to the bank, 100 Grand.


First, I want to address the lies printed on the packaging. You'll noticed on the right that there is a suggested retail price of 79¢. I bought this along with a few other Nestle brand bars, all with the same SRP. But can you believe they actually cost me $1 a piece? Robbery! Now, I suppose it's not technically a lie. Just because Nestle recommends a price, doesn't mean anyone has to sell it for that. What Nestle should have done is something more like "This candy bar is so good, we recommend retailers sell this for $100,000, because it's worth it." Then people can still sell them for a dollar, but consumers will feel like they got a deal.

Something about 100 Grand that surprised me when I opened it is demonstrated in the following picture.






It's actually two separate pieces! Now, this starts to make me question what actually constitutes a candy "bar". I think here, individual pieces are long enough for me to consider them bars, but I start to wonder if this will pose problems down the road with other candies. If, say, those pieces were half the size the are now, and came in packs of four, I'd have to rule that they were more like candy "bites" or "nuggets" or something similar, and would therefore be ineligible for review on Keith Behind Bars.





So, the 100 Grand is chocolate covered caramel, with crisped rice. Not bad. I'm always a fan of crisped rice if used with some constraint. The 100 Grand nicely produces the caramel stretch that I love so much. The chewy is surrounded by crispy in a nice ratio, with just enough chocolate to secure both.

High marks for the 100 Grand. I'm willing to bet it's a candy bar most people pass over more often than not. If you haven't had one in a while, consider picking this one up next time you're in line in the grocery store.

See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment